Now under construction on the corner of Chester Street West and Durham Street, this new complex for the Christchurch Central Methodist Parish includes an elliptical chapel built up to the Durham Street frontage. The design also features a sheltered outdoor garden opening out from the main auditorium and communal spaces within the building. The expressed form of the chapel will enhance the neighbourhood which has been repopulated with conventional office buildings since the earthquakes. Elements salvaged from the beautiful stone church which stood on the site are being re-used and will serve to emphasise the continuity of the Methodist presence on this piece of land since 1864.
This mixed use building will also be home to the Methodist Mission and Christian World Service.